Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Will's First Dentist Appointment

 
Will had his first dentist appointment right after he turned 3. The dentist said that Will needed to stop sucking his thumb or he'd have to have a metal retainer placed in his mouth for 6 months. The dentist said Will had 6 months to stop sucking his thumb. I found a bitter solution called Mavala Stop to paint on his thumb nail. One morning I talked to Will and told him he was too big to suck his thumb, and that I'd paint something on his thumb to remind him not to suck his thumb. I told him he could have something if he stopped sucking his thumb, and he chose a sand box. The first day with the solution on his thumb was awful! Will didn't know what to do without his thumb. He had a hard time sleeping and was irritable. I felt so bad for him. Luckily, this was short lived. I applied the bitter solution to his thumb for about 5 weeks, and he doesn't suck his thumb anymore! He has done so well. I'm so proud of him.  
 
Jeff wasn't very happy about it, but he built Will a sand box in the back yard. The boys love it! It keeps them entertained for hours. 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment